What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The sending of God

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, 
because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. 
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners 
and recovery of sight for the blind, 
to release the oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." 
Luke 4:18-19


A few days ago as I was walking out to the car with my 8-yr-old daughter Grace, she said to me, "Mommy, I really sense that God wants me to do something for Him, something outside America." I told her that I understand exactly what she is hearing from God. I too have felt that call, that tugging, that urge to go out of the comforts of my American lifestyle and share the Gospel.

It happens every day, all over the world...God draws a person out, out of their comfort zone, into something new...something He is asking them to join, for His sake. It may be overseas or it may be across the street. But the call is unmistakable and the initiative is all God's.

We can't make missions happen. It is not up to us to lead. Instead, as each of us spends time with the Lord, He begins to reveal His plans, His purposes, His pathways, and He asks us to follow. It is the sending of God.

That's what missions is...the sending of God. He tells us to go, and we follow.

And how does one prepare for mission - one step at a time. The key is hearing God's voice. You see, God doesn't need our money. God doesn't need our ability. God doesn't need us, period. He could reveal Himself to every person in the world through visions and dreams, and draw them to Him. He could make the "stones cry out" as a witness to Himself Luke 19:40.

Because He can do anything, He doesn't need us to proclaim the gospel. He wants us to participate in His work for our benefit. What, in all the world, could be more rewarding than knowing that you had a part to play in the salvation of another person?

I'm reminded of the words to one of my favorite songs that talks about this very thing.

Thank You for Giving To The Lord
Music & Lyrics by Ray Boltz 

I dreamed I went to Heaven, you were there with me.
We walked upon the streets of gold beside the Crystal Sea.
We heard the angels singing, then someone called your name.
You turned and saw this young man, and he was smiling as he came.
He said, "Friend you may not know me now," and then he said, "But wait -
You used to teach my Sunday School, when I was only eight.
And every week you would say a prayer before the class would start.
And one day when you said that prayer,
I asked Jesus in my heart." 

Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am so glad you gave.

Then another man stood before you, he said "Remember the time,
A missionary came to your church, His pictures made you cry.
You didn't have much money but you gave it anyway.
Jesus took that gift you gave
And that's why I'm in Heaven today" 

Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am so glad you gave.

One by one they came, far as your eyes could see.
Each life somehow touched by your generosity.
Little things that you had done, sacrifices that you made,
They were unnoticed on this earth
In Heaven now proclaimed. 

Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am so glad you gave.
And I know up in Heaven you're not supposed to cry
But I am almost sure there were tears in your eyes
As Jesus took your hand and you stood before the Lord
He said "My child look around you,
Great is your reward." 


Let me share one story that illustrates the sending of God. "Before 1991 the Gospel had managed to attract very few converts in a particular district in Central India. Seven years later, hundreds of newly baptized believers from at least 24 different people groups are learning to follow Jesus...How did so many people suddenly turn to hope in Christ from centuries of practicing animistic spiritism blended with Hinduism?" 

God sent local and international missionaries to tell them the good news of Jesus, and at the same time, prepared their hearts, through His Holy Spirit, to hear that good news. One way He prepared them for the Gospel is truly remarkable, as He sent a short-term mission team, from Scandinavia, into one of the Indian villages of the Poharis tribe.

"The Poharis are highly transient hungers who engage in animistic rituals while honoring Hindu brahminical priestcraft. They had asked for someone to come and teach them about Christ, too. But the only ones available were a short-term team of young Scandinavian women who could not have been further removed from them in almost every way.

While discussing Christ with these young women with pale skin, bright blond hair and blue eyes, the Poharis began telling them about a particular priest in their village. Five years prior he had passed through a period when most of the people thought he was crazy. He often seemed tormented by spirits.

They brought him repeatedly before various gods and goddesses for healing. All the while he kept saying, 'People who look like angels will come from around the world to our village. They will tell us about the real God. We should follow Him.'

The team asked the priest what he saw in his vision. He said, 'I saw people like you, white kind of people - they were angels. They will come and tell us about God.' When they asked, 'Do you think we are those people?,' he responded, 'I don't know yet.' 

But after four days of listening, he trusted the Lord Jesus Christ and received Him as his Savior. In the end, most of those residing in that particular village were baptized."  (from A Movement of Christ Worshippers in India by Dean Hubbard). 

God calls us and sends us out as we obey Him. Just as He sent Jesus, so He is sending us. I pray that each of us will be eager to hear His call, and when we do, step out in obedience and faith. 



No comments:

Post a Comment