What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Monday, April 18, 2011

Children's Easter Devotion: Free in Jesus

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.  2 Corinthians 5:21

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.  2 Corinthians 8:9

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.
Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!
For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!
Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.  Romans 5:6-11

For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.
Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.
The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.
In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.  Romans 6:6-11



Bible: read 2 Corinthians 5:21 and 8:9

Questions
- What did God make Jesus become for us? What do you think that means?
- What is righteousness? (right living, living a life that is pleasing to God)
- What does it mean that we will become the righteousness of God? (we can't earn righteousness, it is a gift of God through Christ)
- Read Romans 5:6-11
- What were we when Christ died for us? So did we do anything to earn His forgiveness? 
- Will Jesus forgive everything we do if we ask Him?
- Read Romans 6:6-11
- What are we no longer slaves to? What does that mean?
- Will Jesus ever have to die again for our sins? 
- What does it mean to be dead to sin but alive to God? 

Thoughts: Our sin was destroyed on the cross. All the wrong things we have done or will do in the future have been destroyed. Instead of being clothed in our sin, we are clothed in Jesus' white robes of righteousness. That means that when God looks at us, He no longer sees our sin. Instead, He see Jesus' goodness. We cannot do anything to earn it. This has already been done for us. All we have to is receive God's perfect gift. 

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I praise You and thank You for what You did on the cross. You became my sin. All the times I have been mean, or hateful, or cruel, or unloving, the times I've lied or disobeyed, You took all that sin away. Now I don't have to live under its weight but I am free to live in righteousness through You. I love You Jesus. 

Song: Crucified with Christ

As I look back on what I thought was living
I'm amazed at the price I choose to pay
And to think I ignored what really mattered
Cause I thought the sacrifice would be too great
But when I finally reached the point of giving in
I found the cross was calling even then
And even though it took dying to survive
I've never felt so much alive.

Chorus
For I am crucified with Christ and yet I live
Not I but Christ that lives within me
His Cross will never ask for more than I can give
For its not my strength but His
There's no greater sacrifice
For I am crucified with Christ and yet I live

As I hear the Savior call for daily dying
I will bow beneath the weight of Calvary
Let my hands surrender to His piercing purpose
That holds be to the cross but sets me free
I will glory in the power of the cross
The things I thought were gain I count as loss
And with His suffering I identify
And by His resurrection power I am alive

Chorus

Bridge
And I will offer all I have
So that His cross is not in vain
For I found to live is Christ
And to die is truly gain



Here is a link with the music and words: Crucified with Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment