What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Easter Devotion: A Criminal Saved (Day 26)

The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, "He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, the Chosen One."
The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar and said, "If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself."
There was a written notice above him, which read: This is the King of the Jews.
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!" But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."
Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:35-43


Questions:
- What did the people standing around Jesus say to Him as He was on the cross?
- Could Jesus have saved Himself? If so, why didn't He?
- What did the second sinner realize about himself? About Jesus?
- What did he ask of Jesus?
- What did Jesus say to him and why?
- What does this tell us about paradise/Heaven? (indicates we go there as soon as we die)

Thoughts
This criminal understood what even Jesus' disciples did not yet understand. He knew that he was a sinner and deserved death. He also knew that Jesus had done nothing wrong. But most amazing, he understood that Jesus' kingdom was not an earthly kingdom. As others sneered at a broken, dying man, the criminal humbly asked a favor of Jesus, the King. Jesus had no words for the mockers, but for the man of faith, criminal though he was, Jesus, King of Kings, gave assurance of eternal life.


Prayer
Thank you so much Jesus for Your sacrifice for me. Thank You that You help me realize that I am a sinner and that I need Your forgiveness. I humbly come to You today, admitting my sin, asking for Your forgiveness and trusting that when I die, I will go to Heaven to be with You. I love You Jesus!


Song: We are the Reason

As little children we'd dream of Christmas morn
And all the gifts and toys we knew we’d find
But we never realized a baby born one blessed night
Gave us the greatest gift of our lives

We are the reason that He gave His life
We were the reason that He suffered and died
To a world that was lost He gave all He could give
To show us the reason to live

As the years went by we learned more of our gifts
The giving of ourselves and what that means
On a dark and cloudy day a man hung crying in the rain
Because of love
Because of love

*Chorus

I finally found the reason for living
It’s in giving every part of my heart to Him (every part to Him)
And all that I do every word that I say (you know I’ll be saying)
I will give all my life just for Him, just for Him (every thing for Him)

We are the reason that He gave His life
We are the reason that He suffered and died
To a world that was lost He gave all He could give (all that he could give all)
To show us the reason to live

#He is the reason to live
(don’t you know do you know the reason
that he came, oh he came to save us
when he gave his life for us) he suffered and died
To a world that was lost He gave everything (everything that He had He gave)
To show us the reason to live



Here is a link for the song: We are the reason

Today's thoughts came from Family Celebrations at Easter by Ann Hibbard

No comments:

Post a Comment