What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Easter Devotion: His Amazing Love (Day 29)

Pilate called together the chief priests, the rulers and the people,
and said to them, "You brought me this man as one who was inciting the people to rebellion. I have examined him in your presence and have found no basis for your charges against him.
Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us; as you can see, he has done nothing to deserve death.
Therefore, I will punish him and then release him."
With one voice they cried out, "Away with this man! Release Barabbas to us!"
(Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder.)
Wanting to release Jesus, Pilate appealed to them again.
But they kept shouting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"
For the third time he spoke to them: "Why? What crime has this man committed? I have found in him no grounds for the death penalty. Therefore I will have him punished and then release him."
But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed.
So Pilate decided to grant their demand.
He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will.  Luke 23:13-25


But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.  Isaiah 53:5-6


Questions:
- Who deserved to be punished? What had he done?
- Who was punished instead? What had Jesus done wrong?
- How was Jesus a substitute for Barabbas?
- How do you think Barabbas felt when he realized that he was free and someone else would die in his place.
- What can we learn from this? (read Isaiah 53:5-6)


Thoughts
We are all like Barabbas. We have all committed sin that has condemned us to an eternity of punishment. "All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." Romans 3:12  We can't earn a pardon/salvation anymore than Barabbas could do anything himself to be released. All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. Isaiah 64:6 Yet, just as with Barabbas, Jesus stepped in and took our punishment. We are pardoned and He was condemned.


Prayer
Lord Jesus, how can we thank You enough for what You did for us? You took our punishment, our sins, and got rid of them on the cross. We love You and want You to be our Lord and Savior. Praise You Jesus.


Song: Amazing Love

I'm forgiven because you were forsaken
I'm accepted, You were condemned
I'm alive and well
Your spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again

Amazing love, how can it be?
That you, my king. would die for me
Amazing love, I know it's true
And it's my joy to honor you
Amazing love how can it be?
That my king would die for me
Amazing love I know it's true
And it's my joy to honor you
In all I do
I honor you

You are my king
You are my king
Jesus, You are my king
Jesus, You are my king

Here is a link to the song with words: Amazing Love

No comments:

Post a Comment