As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them,
"Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' tell him, 'The Lord needs it.' "
Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them.
As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?"
They replied, "The Lord needs it."
They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. Luke 19:28-35
- What did Jesus tell the disciples to do?
- Do you think this was a strange request...why?
- What did Jesus know about the colt/donkey?
- Why would Jesus ride on a colt/donkey? (read Zechariah 9:9 - Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. - and discuss how Jesus fulfilled that prophecy)
- Did the disciples obey Him? Do you think they had any questions in their heads about this?
- Why do you think the owners let the disciples take the colt?
Sometimes the Lord calls us to do something. yet we still may worry how it will all work out. The disciples may have worried also. When we worry, we are basically saying to God that we don't trust Him to work in our lives the way He says He will. You see, Jesus knew all about the colt and how His Father in Heaven had prepared that colt for Him. In the same way, when Jesus asks us to do something, He already has everything prepared for us. All we have to do is trust and obey His Word.
"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength."
"But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19
Thank the Lord for always preparing the way before us. Ask Him to help us walk in that way, trusting and obeying Him.
Song: Trust and Obey
When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
But we never can prove
The delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows,
For the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
Lord I love you, please help me to
Trust and obey
Then in fellowship sweet
We will sit at His feet,
Or we'll walk by His side in the way;
What He says we will do,
Where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.
Here is a website with the song and lyrics song
For further study
There are many children throughout the world who are very bold in their faith in Christ, especially in nations where it is hard to be a Christian. Sharing their stories can encourage a bolder faith in your children. A wonderful resource is Kids of Courage
* Some of the content of this blog is based on the book Family Celebrations at Easter by Ann Hibbard.*