What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Children's Easter Devotion: At the Foot of the Cross (Day 26)


"The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at Him. They said, 'He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ of God, the Chosen One.'...But all those who knew Him, including the women who had followed Him from Galilee, stood at distance, watching these things." Luke 23:35, 49

At the Foot of the Cross
by by Peggie C. Bohanon

They gathered at the Cross that day--the women who loved Him; the guards who stole from Him; the crowd who watched Him--they were all there, to worship, to weep, to mock, to scorn--and to see! They were rich and poor; wise and unlearned; tall and thin, short and plump; well-dressed and in rags--they were all there...at the foot of the Cross.
We gather at the Cross today too--the people who love Him; the wicked who hate him; the indifferent who pass by Him. We're rich and poor; wise and unlearned; tall and thin, short and plump; we're well-dressed or in well-worn garments--we are all there...and level...at the foot of the Cross.

In society, education, government and the marketplace, it is not so! In business, law, medicine and the workplace, it is not so! There are ranks and orders, castes and divides--and like it or not, we are often worlds apart. No meeting ground, no common ground...until...

We all arrive at the Cross--and there we find a different kind of ground. It's holy ground. It's level ground. We stand in awe, in reverence, in redemption, in the garments of His righteousness--OR we stand in mockery, in madness, in mankind's resistance and rejection, in the filthy rags of the unredeemed--but we're all there, all on the same level...at the foot of the Cross.

I want to stay there--to cling to that old rugged Cross; to bow and to adore the One who hangs there for me. I'm in the crowd...but yet I stand alone. I am one unique person, unlike any other in that crowd--and He sees me; He knows me; He loves me. I behold--and I bow--low...at the foot of the Cross!

Questions:
- What types of people were at the foot of Jesus' cross that day?
- What does it mean when the author says: "we are all there...all level...at the foot of the Cross?
- How can you be in the crowd yet stand alone?


Thoughts:
Life in this fallen world is not on level ground. Where you are born and to whom you are born determines much about your future. Hard work and dedication can only get you so far. Look at those born as "Untouchables" or "Dalits" in India. It doesn't matter what they do, they will always be the lowest of the low. What about those sold into slavery, the orphans, the desperately poor...is the ground ever level for them? Our society rank-orders people based on many different criteria, but not so with Jesus. He said, "Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
Jesus ate with tax collectors, with prostitutes, with the ugly and the unloved. He touched the lepers, the bleeding women, the sick and the dying. He reminded His followers, time and again, "It is not the healthy that need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance." Luke 5:31-32 Jesus welcomed everyone who was willing to listen to Him and believe what He said. And He still does today. It doesn't matter where you are from, your family background, your income level, job or what you have done...you are welcome to come to the foot of the cross and there gaze at the One who loves you so much that He was willing to take your sin, your shame, your punishment so that someday He can take you to Heaven to be with Him forever.

Prayer:
We praise You Jesus for what You have done for us. How can we ever begin to understand the price You paid and what You have saved us from. Thank you that it doesn't matter to you how this world labels us. We are loved and special in Your eyes and that is what matters. Help us to remember that the ground at the foot of the cross is level and that all are welcome. We love You, Lord Jesus.

Song: The Old Rugged Cross


On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best,
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down,
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above,
To bear it to dark Calvary.
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down,
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine
Such a wonderful beauty I see
For 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died
To pardon and sanctify me.
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down,
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true,
It's shame and approach gladly bear;
Then He'll call me someday to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I'll share.
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down,
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.


Here is a video of the song with words: Old Rugged Cross



No comments:

Post a Comment