What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Easter Devotion for Children (Day 15): Being a Servant



It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. 
The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus.
Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"
Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."
"No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet." 
Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."
"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"
Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.
When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. 
"Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them.
"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.
I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 
Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. John 13:1-17


"whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,
and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:26-28


Questions:
When dinner was served, what did Jesus do that surprised the disciples?
Why did it surprise them...whose job was it to wash feet?
Why did Jesus do it?
What can we learn from Jesus' example?
Are there things that we are not willing to do, especially for members of our own family? What attitude does Jesus want us to have?
What's one way you can be a servant to others today?

Thoughts
Servanthood is not a popular idea these days. Everyone wants to be in charge...few want to serve. Yet Jesus' example is bold and strong. If the Son of God would stoop to wash the dirty, filthy feet of His disciples to show them His love, what is He asking us to do to show His love to the world? No act of service should be too small or too dirty for us to do when it is done in love. We need to be the hands and feet of Jesus. There is nothing more powerful than the lifestyle of love through humble service to others.

Prayer
Lord, make me a servant. Help me to be Your hands and feet to a world that is hurting. Show me one way, today, that I can serve other people. May I live a lifetime of service to You and those around me. Thank You Jesus for Your example.

Song: Make Me a Servant


Make me a servant
Humble and meek
Lord let me lift up those who are weak
And may the prayers of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today

No comments:

Post a Comment