What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Easter Devotion (Day 23) - He Always Hears our Prayers

Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?” So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”
John 11:40-42 

What a rare and precious gift when someone truly listens to you! When a person really hears what we are saying, he or she is validating us and demonstrating that our thoughts and opinions are important. That person is telling us that we are worth the time it takes to know us. Pastoral counselor David Augsburger wrote, "Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person, they are almost indistinguishable." Conversely, when people talk past us or don't really hear our concerns, we feel isolated and diminished. No wonder one of our most common complaints - be it for politicians, bosses or co-workers, friends or family - is that nobody really hears what we are saying. 

Yet the Creator and Designer of the universe eagerly waits to hear our innermost thoughts. We can show our true selves to God and not fear rejection. We cannot bore God. God takes an active interest in every thought we direct toward Him. When Jesus prayed in front of Lazarus' tomb, He didn't pray about the amazing miracle that He was about to reveal. Instead, Jesus prayed about an even more amazing miracle - that the Lord of all creation always hears our prayers. We can pray in complete confidence that God always wants to listen to what we have to say. 

Prayer: Dear God, thank you for listening to me! I know that You always hear me. It is amazing that You eagerly wait to hear my innermost thoughts. May I be eager to go to You in prayer many times throughout each day. I love You Jesus! Amen. 

* This devotion taken from The Sanctuary for Lent 2016 by Sue Mink

No comments:

Post a Comment