What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Advent Devotion (Day 14) - Joy For All


But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.” – Luke 2:10

Jesus’ coming to earth was good news! His birth would bring joy to all people because He would reconcile them to God. Therefore, this Christmas, let us remember that Jesus came to bring joy. Not just the joy of giving and the joy of spending time with loved ones, but the joy of having our sins forgiven, the joy of a life committed to God, the joy of having a purpose on earth and an eternal home in heaven.

There are many things that steal our joy – things like selfishness, busyness, and unrealistic expectations. Even though it’s Christmas time, we can find ourselves lacking joy. If your joy seems to have been drained away, recall Jesus’ words regarding the way to joy.

“If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” (John 15:10, 11)

Our obedience to God and His ways is what gladdens our hearts. When we are in right relationship with Jesus, He gives us joy. King David knew that sin kept him from experiencing God’s pleasure. When he repented of his wrongdoing, he asked God to “restore to me the joy of your salvation”. (Psalm 51:12)

Let Jesus bring you joy this Christmas by surrendering yourself completely to Him.

Heavenly Father, thank You for the joy I can have when I am reconciled to You. Show me any area of my life where I have not been obedient to You, that I might turn from it and walk in Your ways. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation. In Jesus' name, Amen.

** written by Suzanne Benner **

No comments:

Post a Comment