What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Friday, March 12, 2021

Learning from Jacob's Prayer

9 Then Jacob prayed, “O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, Lord, you who said to me, ‘Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,’ 10 I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps. 11 Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. 12 But you have said, ‘I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.’”

Genesis 32:9-12 

The seven points in Jacob’s first recorded prayer can help us today as we pray.

■ Praise God. Jacob directly addressed God in prayer (32:9a). Acknowledge your relationship with God and say what is true about Him.

■ Remember God’s Word. Jacob intentionally prayed God’s command and promise back to Him (Genesis 32:9b with 31:3,13). Repeat the promises in God’s Word, which are truer than your fear or doubts.

■ Confess your sin and unworthiness. Jacob recognized he had no right to God’s blessing and acknowledged God’s blessing, despite his sinfulness (32:10a). God answers prayer because of His mercy, not our worthiness. Confess your utter dependence on God and specific sin in full confidence of God’s grace.

■ Thank God for past mercies. Jacob recounted God’s undeserved kindness and faithfulness to him (32:10b.) A thankful heart always strengthens faith. Recounting God’s record of faithfulness gives confidence in present and future struggles.

■ Present your specific requests to God. Jacob clearly stated his request, “Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau …” (32:11a). Praying specifically allows you to identify specific needs, recognize God’s intervention and give Him the glory when He answers prayer.

■ Honestly pour out your heart to God. Jacob exposed his emotions to the Lord – “… for I am afraid he will come and attack me …” (32:11b). God understands you completely and is never shocked by what you feel. You can express your reality to God, trusting His compassion and knowing He is stronger than what you feel.

■ Believe God and personally apply His specific promises. Jacob remembered that God’s promises secured his future (32:12). Expect God to answer. With bold faith and humble submission, trust God in specific ways based on what He has declared is true in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment