What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Saturday, November 13, 2010

In the words of an Iraqi brother

Picture of Iraqi church prior to attack

Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, 
when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering. 
Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; 
at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. 
You sympathized with those in prison 
and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, 
because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. 
So do not throw away your confidence; 
it will be richly rewarded. 
You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, 
you will receive what he has promised. 
For in just a very little while, "He who is coming will come 
and will not delay. 
But my righteous one will live by faith. 
And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him." 
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, 
but of those who believe and are saved.
Hebrews 10:32-39


On Oct. 31, Islamic extremists attacked worshipers at the Syrian Catholic Church of Baghdad, Iraq, killing 59 Christians and severely injuring more than 80 others, according to Voice of the Martyrs sources. Several gunmen armed with automatic weapons and explosives entered the church during a worship service and opened fire on worshipers. Two priests were among those killed in the attack. 

"[This church was attacked] because they are very active, especially among the youth and community," VOM contacts said. "This church works closely with the United Bible Society and VOM by distributing Bibles and Action Packs in Iraq. This is the second time this church has been targeted; in 2004 it was hit with a car bomb." 

A militant organization called the Islamic State of Iraq, which has links to al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia, claimed responsibility for the attack, according to Compass Direct News. Following the attack, sources told VOM that churches throughout the city had received death-threat letters, warning them to stop their Christian activities or face similar consequences. The threats have caused many churches to cancel services. 


Just two days ago I received an email from our friend Malath. Our family met Malath at our church, Jubilee in South Korea. He was attending seminary there. Since then, we have remained friends. Below is his email message and plea for prayer.


Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, 

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME, that how I would like to start sharing with you how we are doing in Iraq/ Baghdad. 

Actually we are not doing very well these days, as you know the extremists attacked one of the Catholic Church last week which is three blocks far from my church, and they killed more 50 people and so many injured people. what happened created among  Christians frustration and fear. if  you have a look at the pictures and hear the stories of those who were in there you cannot hold your tears and even your feelings. the situation was so hard even beyond our imagination. all I can say we are truly living the book Acts. we are seeing with our hearts, minds, and eyes what dose it mean to be Christian.   the Christians stayed at their homes after that, as long as they cannot protect their families from the hand of terrorists in the churches, however today the extremists killed many Christians in their houses by using guns and explosive things. that made the situation more hard and worse. 

I do not want to say we are doing great, and we have great faith during this time. I am personally so concerned about my church, my people, and my family. at the same Sunday when they attacked the Catholic Church the Iraqi Police came to my church at the middle of our service and talked to me. the police guy told me "please stop the service and let your people go home NOW NOW, we are not able to protect you if anything happens so just run". I was in a situation that could not imagine for a while, and could imagine my church people would be hostages or murdered, however that what the Lord said to all of us in john 16 "All this I told you so that you will not go astray. They will put you out of the synagogue, in fact a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God"

 I am reading the Bible now in a different way that I never read it before, in a way when I could imagine all what the Lord said I might go through, and all what happened in early church could my church also go through. Now I can understand more Paul when he said "And now, compelled by the Holy Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me- that task of testifying to the Gospel of God's Grace" now I could feel what Paul said and what was his heart and emotions. 

brothers and sisters, "Christianity without suffering is tasteless", we believe God has something very special to our churches in Iraq. we do not know yet, but it could be unity among the churches, let the whole world know what is going on among in Islamic countries, revival among the catholic church and even the evangelical church in Iraq and the whole world

As I am writing this e-mail to you, I got a message on my phone I would like to share it with you " dear malath please be carful because today they killed many Christians and they put under their cars explosive things so watch and search your car carefully before every time you drive it. also I heard they are collecting information about Christians in our areas, and even they are spying on our phones, take care" that just to make the picture more clear to you and to know how to pray for us. 

please keep us in your prayers, ask the Lord to let us speak always about him and his love. and being faithful to him in our faith, action, word, and prayer. He is so good, and I love Him and His kingdom so much. please pray for me so I can say and Live what Paul says " I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Jesus has given me- that task of testifying to the Gospel of God's Grace"

Thank you so much, and let us always remember and believe God is good all the time

God bless you

Malath




Please pray for Iraqi Christians, especially for the families of those killed and injured in the Oct. 31 attack. Ask God to comfort and minister to them during this difficult time. Pray that in the aftermath of this brutal violence, Iraqi Christians will keep their eyes on Jesus, persevere in faith, and not grow weary or lose heart. Pray for peace and stability in Iraq.

No comments:

Post a Comment