What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Monday, December 21, 2015

Christmas Devotion (Day 21) - Friend


As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Now remain in My love. If you keep My commands, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because servants do not know their master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit - fruit that will last - and so that whatever you ask in My name the Father will give you. 
-- John 15:9-16

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions.
-- Matthew 11:19

Jesus is not only Lord and Master but the greatest of all friends, who willingly proved His friendship by His death on the cross. By this costly gesture He has won the friendship of billions of men and women from every tongue and tribe and nation. When you pray to Jesus your Friend, you are praying to the One who loved you before you were lovable and who links you together with His many friends throughout the world.

Jesus took the first step toward us, basing His friendship not on a set of shared interests or on mutual admiration - the usual basis for friendship - but solely on His love. But there's a catch: None of us will ever be attractive enough, good enough, or successful enough to warrant His friendship. In fact, we must admit our weaknesses and sins before we can become His friend. Because Jesus is only and always a friend of sinners, of people who are broken enough to know their need.

We are to be like our friend Jesus. We should reach out to those we know who are not as easy to be friends with, those who are different than us, those who maybe don't even like us, and just like Jesus did...show them friendship and kindness and the love of Jesus.

Discuss: There are other passages about Jesus being a friend but this one is more revealing. Why? Think of a good friend. Why are they your friend? What qualities do they have that make them a friend.

Prayer:  Dear Jesus, thank You for being my true friend.  I know that I need never be lonely with You in my life and that I can talk to You about anything and everything.  Amen.

Songs: The Little Drummer Boy by 4Him, O Come, O Come by Mercy Me


Craft: Send a homemade greeting card to a friend or to someone who might need a friend.  You may also chose to send a “welcome” card to someone new in your church or in your neighborhood and make a new friend.

Service Project Idea: Plan and carry out several helpful chores … serving your family.  You may also know of other ways that you can “serve” in your community.


Devotions come from Praying the Names of Jesus by Ann Spangler

No comments:

Post a Comment