What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Monday, December 7, 2015

Christmas Devotion (Day 7) - Immanuel

The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us.
-- Matthew 1:23

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel
-- Isaiah 7:14

The name Immanuel means "God with us." "When our sins made it impossible for us to come to Him, God took the outrageous step of coming to us, of making Himself susceptible to sorrow, familiar with temptation, and vulnerable to sin's disruptive power, in order to cancel its claim. In Jesus we see how extreme God's love is.
One of the greatest of all the promises in the Bible is this: I am with you. Jesus said it to His disciples (and to us) at the end of Matthew's Gospel: 'Surely I am with you always. to the very end of the age.' If the Lord is with us, what do we have to fear? What do we lack? How can we lose? The same Lord who walked on water, healed the sick, and rose from the dead is saving us, watching over us, guiding our steps.
Remember this the next time you feel discouraged, abandoned, or too scared to try something new. For Jesus is still Immanuel - He is still 'God with us.'"  From Praying the Names of Jesus by Ann Spangler

Prayer: Immanuel, I praise You for Your faithful love -- drawing me near when I was far from you. Instead of casting me away from Your presence, You came to call me home. Instead of punishing me for my sins, You came to free from from them. Immanuel, my God, You are here with me today. Live in me and glorify Your name, I pray.  Amen

Discuss:  Read and discuss. What are the implications of “God With Us?” What does it mean? How do we know God is with us?

Songs: O Come, O Come Immanuel; God is With Us by Casting Crowns

Ornaments: http://www.biblestoryprintables.com/BibleCraftsChristmasNamesJesus.html#.VmLcb9A-DR0

Craft: Have the student draw or paint a picture of “God With Us” means to them.

Service Project Idea:  Help set up a community nativity scene (at Christmas) or take part in a community production of the life of Jesus (usually found going on during the Easter/Passover holiday)




No comments:

Post a Comment