What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Preparing for Easter Devotional (Day 5) - A Humble Faith

When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.” But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith. I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; let it be done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed at that very moment.
Matthew 8:5-13 

When we pray, we are calling on the greatest power in the cosmos. We are daring to speak to God, who flung the stars in the sky and who sculpted the mountains and oceans. When God speaks, the heavens and earth obey. 

The centurion in this story was a Roman officer who was in charge of one hundred men. He was used to having his orders followed. just by saying the words. Yet this powerful military officer humbly asked Jesus for help, even saying that he was not worthy to ask Jesus to enter his home. He recognized that this poor, traveling preacher commanded all of the heavens and earth. Once Jesus said the word, what He spoke would be fact. 

We are taught that Jesus is our friend, and He is. But Jesus is also the incarnate Son of God, who sits at God's right hand in heaven. No matter what our wealth, position or prominence, it is only through grace that we can even dare to speak to Him. How incredible that this is exactly what Jesus desires! The very ruler of the cosmos wants to hear our sorrows, our needs, and our desires. And if it is God's will, with a word, Jesus can cause all walls to fall and all wounds to be healed. 

Prayer: Lord Jesus, how incredible that You are my friend! Never let me lose my awe and reverence of You. Help me to have faith, like the centurion, that You hear and You answer my prayers. But help me to approach you in humility and with an awareness of how truly awesome You are! In Your precious name I pray, Amen. 

** Devotion taken from The Sanctuary for Lent 2016 by Sue Mink

No comments:

Post a Comment