What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Preparing for Easter Devotional (Day 7) - Speaking with Boldness

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
Ephesians 6:18-20 

How many of your acquaintances know that you are a Christian? Do you have the courage to speak out about your faith, even if it might be difficult or uncomfortable? If not, you are not alone. Paul. one of the boldest apostles in history, asked the Ephesians to pray for him so that he might be fearless in preaching the gospel. This eloquent man also asked that they pray for the right words to come to him. Even Paul needed inspiration from God for the language and the bravery to teach the gospel. 

Our teachers and leaders need our prayers as well. Pastoring can be lonely and require courage. Sometimes pastors must challenge their congregations if they are to stay true to the gospel. To live a Christian life is ultimately countercultural because following Jesus does not allow one to live in quiet contentment when there is suffering and oppression in the world. 

If we claim the title of disciple, we also are called to be bold in our faith. To do so means we both need to pray for others and need to ask others for prayers as we seek to obediently follow Jesus. When disciples pray for one another, God strengthens them and enables them to send glimmers of the kingdom of God to earth.

Prayer: Lord, embolden my teachers, my leaders and myself to confidently speak Your Word! Grant us the grace to speak words of truth with gentleness and boldness. Forgive me for the times when I have kept silent when I should have shared the wonderful news about who You are. Thank you for your guidance Holy Spirit. In Christ's name I pray, Amen. 

** Devotion taken from The Sanctuary for Lent 2016 by Sue Mink

No comments:

Post a Comment