What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Friday, December 1, 2017

Christmas Devotion (December 1) - The Joy of Every Longing Heart

May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The One who calls you is faithful and He will do it.  1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

At our house some of my children have been counting down the days til Christmas since the middle of November. They especially like the blow-up Santa on our neighbors' lawn that holds the number of days in his hands. I smile at their happy anticipation and have asked the Lord to grant me a positive anticipation this Christmas season...not for gifts, parties and decorations, but for His presence in my life, each and every day, and for His second coming to this earth.

"Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus" is a carol about the Israelites' longing for a Savior. They wanted someone to free them from fears, sins, and ultimately, they wanted someone to give them much needed peace.

Don't we all have the same longing? To be free from our fears, to be forgiven and to find peace. We need Jesus who says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-29)

Charles Wesley's lyrics in "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus" remind us that Advent is a time to celebrate Jesus' coming to earth, His coming to reign in our hearts and His future second coming, when we will be raised to live forever with Him in Heaven. Anticipation of these truths, this Christmas, is the best part of Christmas!

Come, Thou long expected Jesus,
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel's Strength and Consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King.
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit,
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all-sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

Prayer:   Lord, Jesus, You were born a child and yet a king. May You be my consolation, hope, and strength as I focus on You throughout the holidays. Help me to see Your birth with its eternal perspective, for one day, I, too will be raised up to live with You forever. In Your name I pray, Amen. 

** Some excerpts taking from Preparing My Heart for Advent by Ann Marie Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment