What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Christmas Devotion (December 5) - O Little Town of Bethlehem


“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.” – Micah 5:2

It's not how I would have done it. If I was coming to earth to show the people I had created who I was in the hope that they would believe and follow me, I would have done things much differently. For one...I would have come as the most powerful being they had ever seen. One look at me and they would have known that I was God.  A super hero of super heroes. But that's not how Jesus did it.

I would have chosen a family that was rich, powerful, mighty, with servants galore. Their influence would have been world-wide. At my birth there would have been no doubt that I was the King of Kings, God in the flesh. The Messiah. But that't not how Jesus did it.

The setting for my birth would have been the center of the world...a New York City, London, Beijing or in that time...Rome. That way, as soon as I was born, those with influence and power would have known about it. And the news would be spread by the most reliable news carriers to the four corners of the globe. But that's not how Jesus did it.

No, "Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful." 1 Corinthians 1:27  He came as a humble baby to a poor family who could only find a bed for Him in an animal trough. He chose to bless a small town, in the shadow of mighty Jerusalem, with His birth.

Isn't that like our God? He so often chooses the small, the humble, the weak and the powerless to work His mighty deeds. No matter how little or insignificant you may feel, God can and wants to work through you to further His Kingdom. Just like Bethlehem, though small among the clans of Judah, your life can be the fulfillment of God's promises as you draw others to Him.

Prayer:
God, thank You that You came as a Baby King in the most surprising way at the most surprising time. We need Advent this year, particularly. We need to see Your face in the middle of chaotic and challenging times when our souls are tired of the worldly rush and rage and unrest. Help us to see You, focus on Your astonishing incarnation into a messy world, and celebrate You. Ignite our wonder and awe! We love you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment