What God is Saying

Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. — Psalm 96:2-3

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Children's Easter Lesson - Desire Him More (Day 4)


And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.” When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.” And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”  Luke 18:18-30

Discuss
1) What question did the ruler ask Jesus?
2) How did Jesus answer? Why did the man go away sad?
3) Why do you think Jesus told him to sell everything he had?
4) What in your life might hold you back from following Jesus?

Final Thought
If we truly want to follow Jesus, we have to let it all go. Let go of everything of this world that holds our attention and our heart more than God. That's what Jesus was asking this rich young ruler...let go of your possessions. Don't you see that I am so much more fulfilling than money? Desire Me more than your riches. Yet the man went away sad because he could no do that. For some it may be riches, for others a career, for others the opinions of their family and friends, for others it's the dreams and goals they have for themselves. When we follow Jesus, we have to put all that before Him and say, take what you want, change what you want...my life belongs to You...I will follow where You lead. When we do that, He will answer, He will lead, He will strengthen us for the journey because, "What is impossible with men, is possible with God."

Prayer

Song - When I Survey the Wondrous Cross


1. When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

2. Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the death of Christ, my God;
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

3. See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

4. Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,


demands my soul, my life, my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment